Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Maui in February

My sisters and I had the chance to go to Maui with my parents the end of January/first part of February. It's whale season and was spectacular. The best part...getting away from winter. Our family that was there the previous week, made us all orchid leis.
We overlapped with Matt's family by one day. The first thing Adam did was to show us the two pearls he found in one oyster. He was pretty excited about that.
Ali with my dad.
The family.
On the beach in front of the condo, one of the locals drew this design in the sand. It was so interesting watching him do all this with a rake.
We spent time on the beach, did a lot of snorkeling, eating, laughing, whale watching, and bonding.
Cheryl, Kristen, and I walked the beach almost every day for exercise. Cheryl and I were nursing injuries so Kristen literally ran circles around us. But hey, she is 18 years younger than I am.
We went on three different kinds of whale watching boats. The whales were incredible. None of my pictures reflect that. I gave up and let my sisters take all the pictures and I don't have any of them. There were so many whales that you could stand on the beach and watch them. It truly was amazing.

Kristen and Cheryl on the catamaran. On this boat we got Maui Mugged. What's a Maui mugging? It's when you stop within legal distance to the whales and then they come to you. Two whales did this. It was so unreal.
Me on the catamaran. Bad I know but at least I'm not in a swim suit. I'm not showing any of those.
Our second trip was on a zodiac. Here is my sister posing for me. She is so entertaining and fun to be around.
Here is Kristen on the zodiac.

And me.

Stopping to watch the sunset. There was a beautiful sunset everyday. My sister is blowing me a kiss. I told you she was entertaining.
Here is the sunset we stopped for.
Here is the sunset from the hospitality room my last day. Oh, it was so hard to say goodbye and come back to snow.
Some whale pictures...whale tails, breaching, and diving.






In Lahaina, they have a famous banyan tree. It's huge.
Does this give you an idea of the size?

We are so lucky to have such great parents. I look forward to being with all my brothers and sisters and their spouses in June to celebrate my parent's 80th birthdays. I feel so blessed.

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Kim -- it looks like you had a wonderful time. Just one day of your whale experience would make the trip for me!

Anonymous said...

Yippee! You got your pictures up! It was sooo fun. I want to go back right now. I don't want to do homework and make dinner and pack the 6th grader for science camp! XOXOXOXO, Kristen