Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bucket List

Marissa tagged me to do 10 things that I want to do before I die. ( Click on her name in the sidebar to see her list.) Then, she emailed me to remind me that I haven't posted a list. I've been pondering the idea and changing my list. How do you make a list that isn't just selfish...you know...I want, I want, I want. OK, I know it is supposed to be just a fun thing, but hey, if I make a list, I'll probably do it. So, here is my initial write a quick 10 things down with dialog. (I always have conversations with myself running around in my head.) These are in the order that they popped into my head.

1. Go on a mission for our church with my husband. (I got engaged at 19 so didn't have a chance to go when I was younger. Something I always wanted to do.)

2. Lose 25 more pounds and keep it off. (It is really this year's goal. I'm on my way...I recently lost two of the 7 pounds I gained this year. Lol I hate this life long struggle with food. (I know mom, we aren't supposed to use that word is our house...but it fits!)

3. Travel with my husband. I love going on business trips with my husband but we haven't had any for quite a while. Next month it is off to Hawaii though. Yum...I'm picturing basking in the warmth of the sun. (We are still expecting snow here this week.) We have been to Germany and France but I would love to visit more of Europe.

4. Get a Master's Degree. Just haven't found the right time to jump in on that one but I think it might be time. I'm thinking Marriage and Family Therapy. (I've taught the Marriage and Family Relations class at church for the last year and a half. I love it!)

5. Stay involved in my children's and grandchildren's lives. (I'm hoping they will all move back to Utah so we can see them more.)

6. Learn photoshop. I think I'm the only one in my family that isn't an expert in that area.

7. Do a forearm stand without using the wall in yoga. I can do a mean headstand though. And, after I master the forearm stand, I will try and master the hand stand without the wall. I'm pretty chicken without a wall close by. :)

8. Help my husband fulfill his dream of being a professional photographer. He has sold many pieces but he would like to make a living as a photographer. (Click on Brett on my sidebar to see his website.)

9. Update my house and do a family room addition.

10. Continue to serve others...be more Christlike. I shared this list with my husband and he thought this was more of a goal than a bucket list item. He didn't give me his list but just "dittoed" most of mine. Not fair! I was reading an article this morning and Elder Steven E. Snow told about talking to his mother, just before she passed away with cancer at the age of 60, and asked her if she had any regrets. He was surprised when she replied, "I wish I had served more." He was shocked because he knew that his mother had done much to serve others and he expressed that to her. She replied, "I could have done more." I know how much simple acts of service can impact others and I don't want to miss out on the joy that comes from serving. So, it is staying on my list and it should be at number one.

OK...that is 10 but some of the things on my list really just are my goals for this year. So, I will take off numbers 2, 6, 7, 9 and add four more. That is OK isn't it?

11. Finish all my sewing projects and use up all my fabrics. This is not just a goal because it will take my lifetime and then some to achieve this one.

12. Make some collages on canvas. OK...this might be on my goal list this year too but I want to get back to doing more art.

13. Learn Spanish (I took a year at BYU last year. It was the adult slow poke version. I took this year off because life was too hectic and now I can't remember hardly anything. This is a hard one for me.)

14. Live in a foreign country for at least 9 months. I'm hoping my husband will take a leave of absence and work in the water conservancy program in Paris. This is a life long dream of ours.

I hope you are happy Marissa. This challenge has kept me thinking about you. Now, all of you consider yourself tagged. Please let me know when you post your list. I don't want to miss it. It is good food for thought. I'm going to start on number 11 today.

3 comments:

Marissa Joy said...

Hooray!It was fun to read your list. I love you mom.

{Susan...Seriously.} said...

awesome list...saw that candice and family are adjusting to NYC life.

Thimbleanna said...

This is so cool Kim! I really admire you for doing it -- I don't think I could! I'm sure it was hard to do. And I can't believe you can do a headstand -- I'm pretty sure if I tried one, my head would explode!!!