Monday, August 1, 2011

It is Finally Here!

 My antique bookcase is finally here.  I bought it last September and it took this long to get it shipped here.  It was worth it though.   I absolutely love it.  It is so unique that even my daughter who like modern furniture asked to inherit it.  It arrived Thursday morning and I've been working like crazy to get the office, living room and this room all sorted out and styled.  I know that probably doesn't sound like a big job but it was.  I have a ton of dishes I had to stash away plus all the books in the office.  (I only need a new chandelier to finish this room.  I'm looking.)
 I was going to paint the inside first thing but once it got in, it matched the doors from France perfectly so I decided to live with it for awhile.
 And...oh man, it barely fit.  It literally goes from ceiling to floor.  I think it was made for my space.  I wish I knew more about it.  The women I bought it from said it was from a general store but didn't know where or how old it was.  It was made without nails.  The whole thing is doweled together.  The shelves are all adjustable.  the back isn't original.  I actually don't think it had a back because the bottom cabinet is not backed.  It weighs a ton too.  Good thing it is on a concrete floor otherwise it might cause the floor to sag especially since it is full of dishes inside and out.
 I decided to display my black and and white dishes.  I didn't know I had so many.  They were here there and everywhere.  I didn't spend too much time on them because I'm going to change them for Halloween and then fall and then Christmas.  Can't wait.


 And just so you can appreciate the changes, this is what it used to look like before we did the addition.  I think it is much improved.
 And this is what it looked like for far too long since we had to get everything out of the living room and dining room to add the wood floors.  I'm so glad I don't have to live with this mess any more.  We are finally back to order around here...ahhhh.  It feels so good.

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Kim! It's GORGEOUS! I LOVE a pretty antique like that, although I'm not patient enough to actually shop for them. I can relate to the mess picture -- it's been like that for 3 months around here. We finally started putting stuff back together this weekend -- it will be ok until round two -- paint and carpet. I can't imagine how you survived for so long -- my time is short compared to yours!

candice said...

I love the book shelf Mom! It looks amazing and fits well in the room. As always your styling of the shelves looks great too! I wish you were coming out again this fall. Maybe I'll buy you a ticket to come and hang out with me.