Friday, April 23, 2010

Round Top Spring 2010

I went to Round top last October with Candice and we got some great things for her new house. We were trying to furnish and decorate her family back then. This trip it was her living room. We accomplished a lot in the week I was there.

This time I was also looking for some industrial looking pieces to use in our family addition. I'll post some of the things I bought in my next post.

Of course I enjoyed a few days in San Antonio with Candice and family before heading to Round Top. We worked out at her gym. I was able to do her "Boot Camp" workout there. (I think Candice was secreting trying to kill me off!) Mark was diagnosed with Strip Throat the morning I arrived and Candice got sick right after that so I thought I was doomed. Thankfully, every one got over it quickly.

Unfortunately, as is par for the course, Candice's transmission went out the day before we were supposed to leave for Round Top. We had to rent a mini van but we were still determined to go. We thought we would be able to fit Candice's purchases in the back since all the seat were supposed to fold into the floor board. And yes, you guessed it, when it came time to load of the van, one of the seats would not fold down because the front seat wouldn't move forward enough. We did get everything in in spite of that but it took hours to tie everything in and tie down the hatch back. I tell ya, life is always an adventure for us!I loved these windows taken from a building in Chicago. I would have loved to have taken one of these home with me but at $2500 each, I took a picture instead. This is at the field called, "Essex." Our favorite haunt both last fall and this Spring.
Candice and I both bought some of these last fall. The vendor had sold hundreds since then and had raised the price quite a bit. I think someone said he was selling them for $25 each now. Yikes! They are beautiful though. They came from a textile mill in the south and were used to hold dye.

Here is a taste for some of the industrial looking pieces.

We loved these tables but I think they were $1100 each. It didn't come home with either of us. We passed on the skull too. Can you believe that? I've always wanted one of those...not.
Candice was looking for an old medicine cabinet for her bathroom but these were a bit expensive. It turns out it was good that we didn't get it because we didn't measure the bathroom before the trip and this would have been too big.
I feel really bad that I didn't wear my cowboy boots and shorts. (Just so you know, I don't really own any.) Honestly, it was the uniform of the day. Only in Texas...I hope.
I took these when I thought no one was looking. Hee Hee.
There are rows and rows of tents. The biggest tents I have ever seen. This is Marburger...an upscale show. Things were really different between last fall and now. Last fall we were there almost by ourselves and saw very few sold signs. This time there were tons of things with sold signs from the first day and lots more people. Does this mean the economy is turning around?
Candice took these of the carnival booth. We each bought a couple of rolls of old carnival tickets from the girl who owned this booth.



I really liked a lot of the industrial lighting. Unfortunately, this is the only picture I took of them.
Candice is ordering these shelves to use as bookcases in her living room. I can't wait to share those pictures with you. I love how it turned out but it too was an emotional roller coaster.
Candice liked these shelves too but we decided on the ones above instead. Good choice I think.



Loved this sign. I'm hoping to use it for inspiration to make my own one of these days.
How about this beauty? It made us laugh. I didn't see any of these on Project Runway this year did you?
There were actually lights made out of these spheres. They were great.
This was taken about halfway down one tent row.
Here is a glimpse at the Bar W junky fields.
Those doors are from Europe and I bought a set. I'm hoping to be able to work them into the new family room.


We went to the Red Barn for the first time this year. It was crazy in there. Way too crowded for me. But we did like this both that used player piano rolls to decorate their booth. The pictures don't do it justice. We would have liked to have taken more pictures in here but had to go through and get out as fast as possible. Too hot and too crowded. Wall-to-wall people literally.




Ooh I love buttons! This booth was filled to the brim with all kinds. Heaven!




Outside the Red Barn are two tents, one continental and one that is European. This booth was Bo Bo's booth, the guy who does a lot for Restoration Hardware. Great booth. We loved it.











The Curious Sofa owner walked by and rearranged this cabinet. We took a picture after she left because we thought it was hilarious that she would do that. Check out some of what she bought. (We were too shy to say hello. Last fall we ran into Brooke from Velvet and Linen. We didn't say hello to her either. We were surprised they didn't recognize us from our blogs. Just kidding. We are not in their league but we are pretty sure they would have been really nice to us if we had said hello.)








Candice and I both wanted to buy this chalk board but while we were thinking about it, someone else bought it. Snooze and lose. Boo hoo.

While driving around we spotted these doors. We just had to stop and take pictures. We love old doors.
Me.

Candice. Isn't she beautiful after spending two days walking around all day in the humidity and mud?






It was a beautiful drive and we had great fun together. If you get a chance to go do it. It's a blast.
What did you say...when pigs fly? I'm telling you they have a little of everything.

Hopefully, this bottle will end up at my house. I bought two of them to make lamps out of. I hope I can make it work.

I hope you enjoyed joining in on our adventure. Can't wait to show you what I bought. You'll probably think I'm nuts...I think I might be too.

4 comments:

candice said...

Yay! You posted them! Honestly I had already forgotten most of the things that went wrong. I guess it's so common for us we just move on. lol.

It was so much fun to go with you! I had a really good time. And DON'T worry the items you got were amazing. The room is going to be SO cool when we are finished.

And although there was much worry over the living room at the beginning I really love it now. And people who see it have been calling me for decorating advice so that must be a sign it looks good and people aren't just being nice right?

Thimbleanna said...

Wow! That looks like BIG big fun!!! You guys must've had a blast! I can't wait to see what BOTH of you will do with your finds!!!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh, and I forgot to say -- that chalkboard was AWESOME!!! I think I would have cried to see it go. Even though I don't have a wall space in my house big enough for it. I have a big garage wall where it would be perfect though (we go in and out of our garage -- yick!)

Hi! I am LiLi! said...

i did enjoy it. felt like i was there too.