Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Life is Short

Candice took these pictures of her grandpa knowing that she may not have many more opportunities. Byron Borup, my father-in-law, passed away Sunday night at the age of 85 after struggling with cancer. It happened much faster than we thought but all his children and some of his grandchildren were able to spend the day with him Sunday. We enjoyed being all together.

I've known him almost my entire life. He was kind, loving, and willing to give us counsel over the years. He served in the marines and was proud of his branch in the military. He received many honors from the Boy Scouts of America and served in the Boy Scouts for many years.

He raised 6 great children but of course, I think my husband is the most outstanding of the group. The funeral will be held on Thursday. He will really be missed. He was/is a great man.
Here he is with his dog Max. Max is very sad. He is usually a very rambunctious dog but has laid around being very mellow since Sunday.

We feel blessed that we are an eternal family and believe we will be together again in the next life if we live worthily. This makes the parting easier to bare.

7 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your father in law.

((hugs))
Jen

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm sure he is smiling down on you as you think of him.

My Life as a Dog said...

Kim, I love the photos! Hard to see the photos and not get emotional. Uncle Byron was always one of my favorites! No memories but good ones. :)

Kelli Radmall said...

I'm sorry to hear about your sweet family losing Grandpa Borup. Those pictures are wonderful of him. From what I know of him, he was an incredible person.

Laurel said...

What a prefect tribute, Kim. And those photos are just amazing portraits.

Michael Carr - Veritas Literary said...

You've written a wonderful tribute to what sounds like a great man. I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Bobby Matthews said...

Very nice blog you have herre